The Enigma Which Shrouds Ziad Samir Jarrah & His Family Of Spies

Adam Fitzgerald
23 min readJan 30, 2020

Ziad Samir Jarrah was born in Beirut, Lebanon in 1975 in the town of Tanak. Raised by very modest and well-off parents, his mother Nafissa Jarrah (teacher) and his father Samir Jarrah (restaurant owner) both had lucrative jobs in the tight knit city. Ziad was known to be rather amicable and made friends rather easily. In his childhood, he had always wanted to fly planes, but his family discouraged this.

“I stopped him from being a pilot,” his father told the Wall Street Journal a week after the attacks. “I only have one son and I was afraid that he would crash.”

Ziad went to al-Hikmeh school in Ashrafieh, a mainly upper class Christian district in east Beirut. In the following years, Ziad moved to Mar Elias Batina school in Wata al-Msaytbeh near the beach, an expensive co-educational private school. He would make friends along the way with his socially infectious persona. He enjoyed girls and enjoyed also going to social gatherings. Many of Ziad Jarrah’s friends would have a Christian background, which wasn’t unheard of in Lebanon, home to many Christian families.

Ziad would move out of his upbringing of Lebanon and into many areas of the world. From 1995 to 1996, while Jarrah was still living in Yemen, according to his family, somebody of the same name rented an apartment in Brooklyn, New York. The landlords claimed it was the same Ziad Jarrah as in the FBI photographs. But was never actually confirmed. Rumors would still float around the affable Jarrah. One of those rumors had him living in Brooklyn, New York.

The Los Angeles Times reports: “Another man named Ihassan Jarrah lived with Ziad, drove a livery cab and paid the 800-dollar monthly rent. The men were quiet, well-mannered, said hello and good-bye. Ziad Jarrah carried a camera and told his landlords that he was a photographer. He would disappear for a few days on occasion, then reappear. Sometimes a woman who appeared to be a prostitute arrived with one of the men. ‘Me and my brother used to crack jokes that they were terrorists,’ said Jason Matos, a construction worker who lived in a basement there, and whose mother owned the house.”

However, the actual Ziad Jarrah is still in his home country of Lebanon at this time. He is studying in a Catholic school in Beirut, and is in frequent contact with the rest of his family. His parents drive him home to be with the family nearly every weekend, and they are in frequent contact by telephone as well.

In April 1996, Ziad Jarrah leaves Beirut for the first time to study in Germany. He would bring his cousin Salim al-Jarrah to both enroll at the University of Greifswald to take a certificate course in German. They would both rent an apartment together, and both lived a very single lifestyle, both attended the local discotheque, and were enamored with the single lifestyle. Drinking and dating. But in just a couple of weeks Ziad would begin his journey, that would leave his family in a state of disbelief that still lingers to the present time. He would immediately look to join a nearby Islamic center for study.

Within a few weeks Ziad Jarrah begins to associate with Abdulrahman al-Makhadi, a local ultra-orthodox Muslim who raises money for the militant Palestinian group Hamas and is monitored by the German intelligence service BfV. Makhadi was also an imam at Greifswald Mosque. Known for his ultra-orthodox stance, he was known to give fiery speeches about Western Imperialism. German Intelligence would monitor the man and the mosque. By September 1997, al-Jarrah enrolled in the University of Applied Sciences in Hamburg to study aeronautical engineering. Jarrah switched majors while at Greifswald, from his medical studies to engineering, although it is not definitively known why he chose engineering. According to future girlfriend, Aysel Senguen, it was due to the fact that Ziad claimed that “no medical school would accept him” and that he always had a long passion for aviation.

Months later Jarrah would visit the Al Quds Mosque in the city of Hamburg, just like how Makhadi was an enforcer of Salafist Islam at Greifswald, Jarrah would commiserate with the mosques most ardent members. Attending the mosque at this time, Mohammed Atta, Marwan al-Shehhi, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, Mounir el-Motassadeq and Said Bahaji. Other notable more, veteran members would also include Mohammad Haydar Zammar and Marmoun Darkanzali, both Syrian Muslims with contacts into Al Qaeda. Zammar was also considered a high level contact with important Syrian criminals. Such importance German authorities had in Zammar that he was constantly monitored by the BfV. The mosque was run by a noted unruly and radical Salafist preacher named Mohammed Fazazi. Fazazi’s sermons would become emotionally wrought with vitriol for “Western” values, along with a penchant hatred for the Israeli government who were continually demoralizing the Palestinian residents.

Fazazi would serve his most emotionally driven sermons with just the more radical believers, some of them would become the Hamburg Cell. Under constant manipulation from Fazazi and the presence of Mohammed Haydar Zammar and Marmoun Dakanzali, the Hamburg Group would become more radical by the day.

Zammar would also have links to Makhadi. The German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung will say that al-Makhadi, also known as Abu Mohammed, is “known to the German security service, BfV, as a Hamas activist and ‘instigator,’” and that, “It is therefore difficult to imagine that the 26 year old Lebanese [Jarrah] was not also registered by the machinery of the intelligence services.” Jarrah did not lose contact with al-Makhadi and kept in touch.

Jarrah later travels around Germany with al-Makhadi and meets other radicals. Al-Makhadi runs the local mosque and makes money by selling special Arab food he purchases in Hamburg there. Jarrah also meets another Muslim extremist preacher, Marcel “Hussein” K, and is the vice president of the Islamic center in North-Rhine Westphalia. In 1997, Jarrah left Greifswald and instead began studying aerospace engineering at the University of Applied Sciences in Hamburg, while working at a Volkswagen paint shop in nearby Wolfsburg. By 1997, Ziad Jarrah would meet, Aysel Senguen while at university.

Both would be enamored with each other in quick time. Together they would make a rather normally couple, filled with many adventurous times. Although they never lived with one another, Senguen and Jarrah would visit on weekend together. At this time Jarrah was renting an apartment from Rosemarie Canel, who would paint a portrait of him that he would bring back as a gift for his mother that December 1997.

During the summer of 1997, Jarrah would travel around Germany with his Islamic contacts, one such man he kept in close contact with is known only as Marcel ‘Hussein’ K. Jarrah would rely on keeping close contact with this mysterious imam, and thru-ought the rest of Jarrah’s life, until that fateful day of September 11th 2001, Jarrah would call Marcel K, when things were “problematic”. Little is known about Marcel K, but was once the vice president of the Islamic center in North-Rhine Westphalia. While Jarrah was in flight training in Florida in 2000–01, he would keep calling Marcel K, even just days before the September 11th attacks.

On November 1, 1998, Mohammed Atta, Ramzi bin al-Shibh and Marwan al-Shehhi moved into a three-room apartment (two bedrooms, one living room, one kitchen) together on Marienstrabe. Here they formed the secretive “Hamburg Cell”, which also included other minor participants in the 9/11 plot, while under the constant tutelage and direction of Mohammed Haydar Zammar who would also live amongst the group, with Ramzi bin al-Shibh also making the rounds.

Al Quds Mosque imam, Mohammed Fazazi, would continue to influence the young Jarrah as they would continually meet. It would have a growing effect even at home with his girlfriend. Ziad’s new piety caused problems with Aysel almost immediately. He criticized her choice of friends, the way she dressed and what she drank. Throughout the relationship, according to their correspondence, she railed at Ziad for not telling her more, for not sharing more of himself. Assem al-Jarrah would be the only family member that claimed to have noticed the slight changes in Ziad’s attitude to being a more “religious” Muslim.

“Whatever happened to Ziad, it didn’t happen in Beirut, or in Greifswald,’ Assem al-Jarrah said. ‘None of us noticed any change in him until he went to Hamburg in the spring of 1997 to do his university degree.

Ziad responded that he told her what he felt she needed to know. While in Hamburg after school in the University of Applied Sciences, he would frequent Al-Quds Mosque. Here he would meet a Yemeni named Ramzi Bin al-shibh, a regular at Al Quds, and through him a group of multinational Arab men just then beginning to figure out how they could contribute to the jihad. And from here, Jarrah would befriend Mohammed Atta and Marwan al-Shehhi. Although German Intelligence would later claim that at no point was there any evidence to suggest that Zaid Jarrah had physically met with Atta or al-Shehhi during their time together while at Al Quds Mosque.

“The only information we have connecting the three Hamburg suspects is the FBI’s assertion that there is a connection,” said a high-ranking police source involved in the investigation. “We have come across absolutely no evidence of our own.”

The only link to Jarrah and the Hamburg Cell, a single wedding photo from Said Bahaji’s wedding in 1999.

Federal prosecutor Kay Nehm disclosed the first hint of a connection when he alluded to having a photo showing Jarrah at the 1999 wedding of a fugitive known to espouse fanatic views, Said Bahaji, who once roomed with Atta and Al-Shehhi.

As Jarrah became infused with the ultra-orthodox mindset of the Hamburg Cell, his family back home began to worry. They sent emissaries to talk to him, threatened to cut off his monthly stipend, and, according to investigators, his father once feigned a heart attack in hopes that Ziad would come home. It didn’t work. He grew more and more involved with his new friends. He saw Aysel less. She visited Hamburg a few times but felt unwelcome; on at least one occasion, Ziad abandoned her in his room to spend time with his friends, whom she never met. Jarrah however was not close to the Hamburg Cell group led by Atta, Jarrah lived in his own apartment and did not spend as much time with them.

During the year 1999, The Hamburg Cell would finally meet up in Kandahar, Afghanistan and meet with Osama Bin Laden, Mohammed Atef and other notable Al Qaeda operatives. How they came about to visit Afghanistan is now under question. With the current trial of Khalid Sheikh Muhammad at Guantanamo Bay, former detainee, Mohammedou Ould Slahi was suspected as the high level Al Qaeda contact who influenced the Hamburg Cell members to not fight in Chechnya, but in Afghanistan, This story is now proven to be false. Slahi would undergo years of torture at CIA Black Sites and was released by U.S Circuit Courts due to immense pressure from local human rights activists who forced the State Department to release Slahi when it as found out he left Al Qaeda many years before the Hamburg cell even formed. Thus, this part of the US government’s story would become a large gaping black hole.

Mohammad Atta, Ramzi bin al-shibh, Marwan al-Shehi and Ziad Jarrah would all “supposedly” swear loyalty (bayat) to Bin Laden and join in their operation in attacking the United States. The members of the Hamburg Cell were a boon to the 9/11 plot, which Khalid Shaikh Muhammad had proposed to Bin Laden back in 1996. The Hamburg students were fluent in English, educated, accustomed to the Western lifestyle, radically Islamic, and capable of learning to pilot aircraft. “Bin Laden and Mohammed Atef wasted no time in assigning the Hamburg group to the most ambitious operation yet planned by al-Qaeda.”

During their stay at Tanak Farms in Afghanistan, both Atta and Jarrah would conduct a video will of their own. The video was obtained by special forces in 2001 during the invasion of the country due to the September 11th attacks, and even thou there is no sound, it is the one and only link showing Jarrah and Atta anywhere at the same time. The video also shows Osama Bin Laden speaking at a podium, and also in the crowd is Mohammed Atta and Ziad Jarrah. This part does have sound. Although it is entirely in Arabic.

After returning to Hamburg, Jarrah dropped out of the University and began looking at flight schools. He claimed that this was to fulfill his childhood dream of being a pilot. After looking in several countries, he decided that none of the flight schools in Europe were adequate. On the advice of a childhood friend, he prepared to move to the United States.

Immediately Mohammed Atta and Marwan al-Shehhi began taking flight lessons in Germany. Both Atta and al-Shehhi start taking lessons on ultralight aircraft While Ziad Jarrah moves to the United States, but just before he moves he goes to a friends wedding…Said Bahaji who would also be a part of the Al Quds mosque group of radical members. A videotape of the wedding will be discovered by German investigators shortly after 9/11, and eventually more than 20 men will be identified from the video. Other attendees include: Ramzi bin al-Shibh, Marwan al-Shehhi, Ziad Jarrah, Mounir El Motassadeq, Mohammed Haydar Zammar, and Abdelghani Mzoudi.

The video first shows Bahaji’s nuptial ceremony, followed by a series of radical militant speeches. According to German Intelligence, an informant was active at this time in Al Quds mosque, and that the photo was given by the informant to German authorities who were also monitoring Zammar. Thru the influence of Jarrah’s closest friend, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, Jarrah would be selected as part of the September 11th attacks in the first place, with Zammar’s approval.

On June 27, 2000, Jarrah arrived t to the United States for the first time, arriving at Newark International Airport. He then traveled to Florida, where he enrolled full-time at the Florida Flight Training Center in Venice. It was also reported that a moving company called Classic International Movers had helped move one of the 9/11 hijackers to NYC. Jarrah had obtained his license to fly small aircraft in August 2000, and began training to fly large jets later that year. After achieving his license he would travel back to Germany to meet with Şengüen and bring her back to the United States for a short while.

In 1999, Ziad Jarrah is briefly detained and questioned at the Dubai airport, and some reports will suggest this is because he is already on a US watch list. It is not known when he may have been put on a watch list or why. The only information about this will come from conflicting accounts as to why Jarrah is stopped and questioned by immigration officials for several hours in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) on January 30. It will also be reported that in the summer of 1999, the CIA asked immigration officials all over the region to question anyone who may have been returning from training camps in Afghanistan, and Jarrah fits that profile.

Jarrah’s passport however had an Al Qaeda stamp, he was also carrying manuals of terrorism in his luggage. Dubai authorities immediately contact the CIA, who would surprise Dubai officials, by suggesting Jarrah should be released, this would only mean one thing….Ziad Jarrah was already being closely monitored by U.S Intelligence authorities. Of course, like clockwork…. The CIA immediately denied the story. However in 2012 CNN broke the story, and claimed that the only reason Jarrah was detained at Dubai was at the behest of,,,,the CIA!

In late January 2001, he again flew to Sana’a to visit his father who was ill and then visited his girlfriend, Şengüen, in Germany, and returned to the United States once again in late February. Ziad Jarrah takes a trip to Jacksonville, Florida, where he stays for three days at the Ramada Inn. The purpose of this trip is not known, although he will return again one month later. At this time Jarrah’s immigration status is violating the temporary status afforded to him, but immigration charges remained pending. He is given a six month stay from immigration officials. This is unusual, as inspectors usually give business visitors one to three months, depending on the port of entry, and six months only when the visitor can document the purpose of the stay, which Jarrah apparently does not do.

Jarrah would enroll at Florida Flight Training Center (FFTC), just a couple miles away from Huffman Aviation, where Atta and al-Shehhi enrolled. However according to the schools owner, Arne Kruithof will later say that he was told Jarrah obtained a commercial license.

“He was supposed to come back and finish his commercial pilot license, but he did not. Later, I found out that he did it somewhere else.”

It was here that many of the schools students remembered Jarrah, and they thought very warmly of him. Jarrah would do quite well and obtained his license to fly small aircraft in August 2000. He would continue to fly aircraft at FFTC even until 2001. Jarrah would have deposits made from an unknown source, later to be proven from Saudi national abroad, June 1st he would receive $3,000. According to the 9/11 Commission report, the originator of these funds is “not known” due to the fact they were travelers checks. All this time however, Jarrah remained separate from the other 9/11 hijackers, just like when he lived in Germany. By June 2001, Jarrah would enlist at a Philadelphia flight school called, Hortman Aviation. He tries to rent a Pipe Cherokee plane to fly but the instructor denies him the ability due to the fact he does not meet the qualifications met in his licenses.

According to the 9/11 Commission, Jarrah continues to ask about flying a pipe plane across the Delaware river and into New York City, he is also accompanied by another man:

“On at least one occasion when Jarrah attends Hortman Aviation, he is accompanied by another man, who he introduces as his “uncle.” The man is also Middle Eastern, but has a darker complexion than Jarrah. Hortman will later describe him as being of average height and in his mid to late 40s. He is “appropriately dressed” and does not appear to be a recent immigrant to the United States. Hortman is unable to tell whether the man understands English, as Jarrah does all the talking.”

Jarrah actually should not be admitted at all because he is out of immigration status — he breached immigration rules by taking a flight training course despite entering the U.S as a tourist — but this is apparently not noticed. According to an associate of the 9/11 hijackers, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, and flight school owner Rudi Dekkers, the hijackers have more training on large jets than the FBI will disclose. The FBI will say that the four hijacker pilots never fly real large jets before 9/11 and have a total of approximately 17 sessions on large aircraft simulators, mostly on older models. Ziad Jarrah, who flies a Boeing 757 on 9/11, has five sessions on 727s and 737s. Ziad Jarrah would also apply for multiple driver’s licenses along with numerous 9/11 hijackers including Mohammed Atta, Marwan al-Shehhi, Wail al-Shehhi, Ahmed al-Hawzni and Hamza al-Ghamdi.

On June 7th 2001, Ziad Jarrah takes a solo trip out to Las Vegas, here he would meet with other members of the hijacking team, Mohammed Atta and Marwan al-Shehhi. Jarrah would relate to bin al-Shibh thru a phone call that he was certain that he was being followed by “security officers”. It is also reported by al-Shehhi that he too thought he was being followed by agents while travelling to Las Vegas. Later, a phone call intercepted by the NSA will hear communication between Ramzi bin al-Shibh and a person assumed to be Khalid Sheikh Muhammed. The call lasts only mere minutes but -bin al-Shibh seemed concerned about Ziad Jarrah who was almost dropping out of the operation altogether due to his differences with Mohammed Atta,m who would not allow Jarrah to see Seguin. Muhammed allows Jarrah’s girlfriend to visit Jarrah, this decision is relayed from bin al-Shibh to Jarrah. On July 25 2001 Jarrah visits Senguen in Germany.

At no point during his visit did Ziad Jarrah ever mention any of the Hamburg Cell by name, nor even bringing up any slightest of information about who he was seeing while down in Florida. He would also meet with Ramzi bin al-Shibh, telling him he would continue the mission. “She said she’d never heard him mention the name Atta or anyone else” from the list of suspects provided by the FBI later on. It was also the last time Jarrah would meet with Senguen. He returns to the United States on August 5th.

August 2001, Ziad Jarrah would apply for membership at US1 Fitness and work out regularly, this would be to physically ready themselves for the hijacking operations. Several large deposits are made on the 9/11 hijacker pilots’ accounts. The joint SunTrust account of Mohamed Atta and Marwan al-Shehhi receives $8,600 on May 11, $3,400 on May 22, and $8,000 on June 1, when $3,000 is also deposited in Ziad Jarrah’s SunTrust account. The funding for these accounts are not reported in the 9/11 Commission but conflicting independent accounts state Pakistani ISI from Saudi contacts were responsible.

On August 27, he checked into Pin-Del Mote motel located in Laurel, Maryland, only a mile away from the Valencia where four other hijackers were staying. Jarrah gives the attendant a Florida address and driver’s license number, he pays for three nights with a Visa card, but leaves the following evening.

On August 30,2001, Ziad Jarrah purchases a ticket for himself for United Airlines flight 93 from the UA website. September 7th, The four hijackers of Flight 93 apparently arrive in Newark from Florida. The days leading up to the first week of September are murky, as FBI officials and 9/11 Commission contradict about the whereabouts of Ziad Jarrah as well as some of the hijackers, times and dates conflict with one another. Jarrahs family back home in Lebanon continue to send money to their son, his monthly stipend would help him along his way.

September 9th, Ziad Jarrah is stopped in Maryland for speeding, ticketed, and released. No red flags show up when his name is run through the computer by the state police, even though he already had been questioned in January 2001 in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) at the request of the CIA for “suspected involvement in terrorist activities”. In the evening hours of September 10th, Ziad Jarrah would write a final letter to Aysel Senguen, In the letter he was very cryptic:

“You should be very proud because this is an honor and in the end will bring happiness to everyone.”

Hold on to what you have until we meet again. And then we will have a very beautiful eternal life, where no problems exist and where there is no mourning, in castles of gold and silver and, and, and I did not leave you alone,”

The letter would never reach Aysel, by the time the letter arrived it was intercepted by German authorities, due to the fact Senguen was at the time sent to Witness Protection and that the letter had the wring address written to it. The letter was returned to the United States by the postal services, where it was discovered and delivered to the FBI.

How on earth did Ziad Jarrah managed to write an incorrect address to his girlfriend of 3 years, knowing it would be his final communication to her?

According to the 9/11 Commission, on September 11th 2001 Ziad Jarrah phones his girlfriend, Aysel Senguen, about an hour before he boards United Airlines Flight 93, according to the Los Angeles Times. Senguen is currently recovering from a minor operation in a hospital in Germany, where she lives. Senguen will later recount:

“He was very brief. He said he loved me three times. I asked what was up. He hung up shortly afterwards.… It was so short and rather strange him saying that repeatedly.”

However according to conflicting reports from the FBI they claim that Jarrah phones his girlfriend from the Days Inn hotel he was staying while at Newark. They would also managed to find a cardboard replica of a pilots cabin in the hotel room he was staying in. During the last final days, Ahmed al-Haznawi would visit Jarrah in his room. The only link to the hijackers ever, while inside the United States.

It is asserted by the FBI that the four hijackers checked in for the flight between 07:03 and 07:39 Eastern Time… Ahmad Ibrahim A. Al Haznawi, Saeed Alghamdi, Ahmed Alnami, and Ziad Samir Jarrah. However the flight is delayed for 41 minutes on the runway at Newark Airport, New Jersey. It will take off at 8:42 a.m. The reason for the delay according to the 9/11 Commission was traffic on the runway.

It was heard by air traffic controllers at Cleveland center…what was heard was from the audio of Flight 93 Captain Jason Dahl yelling as he pressed the call signal…

“Mayday!! Mayday!!”

At 9:28am Flight 93 was hijacked. It is suspected that Jarrah, seemingly at the controls of the plane, announced over the speakers to the passengers:

“Ladies and gentlemen: here the captain. Please sit down, keep remaining seating. We have a bomb on board. So sit.”

At least two of the cell phone calls made by passengers indicate that all the hijackers they saw were wearing red bandannas, and indicated that one of the men, believed to be either Ahmed al-Haznawi or Ahmed al-Nami, had a box tied around his torso, and claimed there was a bomb inside. One call was made by flight attendant, Sandra Bradshaw, who also reported a strange anomaly….that there were only 3 hijackers, and all of them were dark skinned males. Ziad Jarrah was very light skinned…

At 10:03am United Airlines Flight 93 crashes into an empty field just north of the Somerset County Airport, about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh as the passengers tried to enter the cockpit. The point of impact is a reclaimed coal mine, known locally as the Diamond T Mine, that was reportedly abandoned in 1996. Investigators searching the crash site would find the Boeings Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) and the Flight Data Recorder (FDR), the only plane where the black boxes would be fully recovered. The CVR would unearth a very glaring anomaly which would contradict the FBI and the 9/11 Commission narrative of there being 4 hijackers on the flight. Many of the phone calls made from Flight 93 did the same.

According to Deena Burnett, when her husband Tom Burnett first calls her from Flight 93, Tom reports to her that one of the hijackers has a bomb while another has a gun. However there are conflicting reports about the gun possibility. This would also become a point of contention as American Airlines officials also reported in the early hours that a gun was also reported as being in the hands of one of the hijackers abroad American Airlines Flight 11, this too was summarily dismissed as an error by American Airlines. The draft report, which was never published, was as follows:

“The American Airlines FAA Principal Security Inspector (PSI) was notified by Suzanne Clark of American Airlines Corporate Headquarters that an onboard flight attendant contacted American Airlines Operations Center and informed them that a passenger in seat 10B had shot and killed a passenger in seat 9B at 9:20 a.m. The passenger killed was Daniel Lewin, shot by passenger Satam al Suqami. One bullet was reported to have been fired.”

Deanna Burnett was adamant however regarding what Tom saw.

“Deena later told the London Times, “He told me one of the hijackers had a gun. He wouldn’t have made it up. Tom grew up around guns. He was an avid hunter and we have guns in our home. If he said there was a gun on board, there was.”

About 6 calls made from Flight 93 to loved ones reported only seeing 3 hijackers on board and not 4 as stated by the FBI and 9/11 Commission.

According to Alice Hoglan, she receives a call from her son Mark Bingham.

“I’m flying from Newark to San Francisco. I’m calling from the Airfone. The plane has been taken over by three guys. They say they have a bomb.”

Lyz Glick receives a call from her husband, Jeremy Glick from Flight 93 in which Jeremy stated:

“Three of them put on red headbands, stood up, yelled, and ran into the cockpit.”

Flight attendant CeeCee Lyles would call her husband, who wasn’t there to receive the call, but she left a message stating:

“I’m sorry babe, i don’t know what to say….There’s three guys hijacking the plane….”

According to GTE phone operator Lisa Jefferson, she received a call from passenger Todd Beamer who relayed the following information:

“When i took the call over, the man on the other end told me his name was Todd Beamer, and that there’s three people who have taken over the flight.”

Beamer says of the hijackers, “It doesn’t seem like they know how to fly the plane.”……..the passengers decide to revolt. Using a food cart, they try and ram into the pilot’s cabin, this after the passengers subdued the one hijackers guarding the cockpit door, as to which hijacker that was in unknown. This information is verified by the audio played during the 2006 trial of Zacarias Moussaoui, the suspected “20th” hijacker. As family members hear a commotion between the single hijacker guarding the cabin door and the onrush of multiple passengers. One of them, Todd Beamer. According to the transcript, released to the public, not the audio, the two men in the cockpit decide whether to “finish it off” by plummeting the plane into the ground.

At 1:00:37 of the transcript, the man sitting next to the pilot is heard saying to pilot the plane “up down, up down” to thwart off the onrush of passengers.

“Up, down, Saeed, Up, down!!”


With this transcript, it is presumably Saeed al-Ghamdi, at the pilots seat. The next and obvious inquiry….

Where is Ziad Jarrah?

As to why there were no intercept jets from NORAD, according to NORAD official Major General Craig McKinley he testified to the 9/11 Commission that “another reason why” the Langley jets are “vectored east originally” is that “the air traffic over the Northeast corridor is so complex that to just launch fighters… into that air traffic system can cause potential damage or midair collision. So we rely on the FAA to de-conflict those corridors.”

The blame was laid on the FAA by NORAD for failure to receive proper data at the present time. According to the FAA’s National Operations Manager Ben Sliney when he testified to the 9/11 Commission:

“Available to us at the Command Center of course is the military cell, which was our liaison with the military services. They were present at all of the events that occurred on 9/11.” He will add, “The normal protocols for the events that were transpiring then — that is to say hijacked aircraft, which requires a notification to NORAD — those, at least I was given to understand, were made promptly — the notifications on each hijack.”

However the claims made by NORAD about not knowing about the hijacking of Flight 93 was quite revealing. General Richard Myers, the acting chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will write that in the NMCC:

“We learned that there was apparently a fourth hijacked aircraft, United Airlines Flight 93 out of Newark, bound nonstop for San Francisco. Like the other planes, it had switched off its transponder, making it much harder if not impossible to track on ground radar.”

Immediately after the crash, Jarrah’s family would be held in absolute disbelief. Jarrah’s family and friends claimed that Jarrah did not exhibit the same “smoldering political resentments” or “cultural conservatism” as Mohamed Atta. He was not raised with a background of religious conviction and did not hold to an obviously conservative lifestyle. Personnel at the flight school Jarrah attended, Florida Flight Training Center were in complete disbelief, they also described him as “a normal person”, loved by most at the school. Jarrah called his family just two days earlier about coming for a wedding, and his girlfriend Aysel Senguen just three hours before supposedly boarding United Airlines Flight 93. Sengüen described the conversation as “pleasant” and “normal”. She also claimed that he never mentioned any names of the other hijackers.

After the finalization of two Congressional Inquiries, Joint House Inquiry and the 9/11 Commission, the story seemed quite set in stone…or was it.

On July 12th 2008 Ali al-Jarrah would be arrested by Hezbollah authorities, eventually held over to the Lebanese military for questioning about his 30 year long espionage career for the Israeli Mossad. He is said to have been paid at least $300,000 over the years by Israeli Intelligence. Ali’s brother Yusuf al-Jarrah is said to have helped him spy, but few details of his case have been reported. Ali al-Jarrah would be Ziad Jarrah’s uncle….reports state they did not know each other well.

Assem al-Jarah, the former intelligence spy for Libya and Iraqi Intelligence continues to deny his career in espionage, but many who knew him scoff at his denial. Assem Jarrah would also be the only family member who believes Ziad Jarrah was indeed an Islamic fundamentalist convert who piloted Flight 93, and he also stated that he had not seen or heard from Ziad Jarrah for many years. The Jarrah family have singularly disavowed Assem from family functions.

However investigators looming thru the smoldering remains in Shanksville where Flight 93 crashed, would end up finding some revealing items along with the CVR and FDR…a charred passport belonging to Ziad Jarrah….and a work permit with a handwritten number, belonging to one, Assem Jarrah, the same distant cousin who claimed to not have had any contact with Ziad Jarrah for many years.

According to His cousin Salim al-Jarrah, who went along to Germany back in 1996 to study abroad:

“We came here to Germany so we could live better, not to die for some insane idea. We don’t know if it was really Ziad on that plane. It seems it was, or he would have come forward by now. But if he died in that crash, he died as a victim like the other passengers.”

Years later in an interview a classmate of Aysel Senguen from the premed classes in Greifswald, Abdullah al-Makhadi (no relation to Abdulrahman al-Makhadi) stated that he thought Zaid Jarrah was not truly a follower of Islam.

“I used to criticize him for living with her. By our religion, this living together before marriage is not allowed. He was a weak Muslim, I must say.”



Adam Fitzgerald

Geo-political scientist/researcher into the events of September 11th 2001.